Frequently asked questions in the Interviews...
By Prof Vishal Aggarwal
Do e mail ur comments suggestions at email@example.com
SOME COMMON (FREQUENT) INTERVIEW QUESTIONS (PATTERNS OF QUESTIONS)
1. Tell us something about yourself. Or How would you "define" yourself
Tell us something about yourself that is not already there in your resume.
2. What do you know about us?
Why would you want to work for our company?
Are you interested in knowing something more about us ? What? Why?
Your short-term goals?
What do you want to do in your life?
What are your long-term goals? How you propose to attaint these goals?
What do you want to do with your life?
4. Where do you find yourself after (five or) ten years?
Do you think yourself a goal oriented person? How !
What are your long term career objectives?
What do you want to do with your life?
5. How would you describe your ideal job?/ OR
What goals you have for your career? &
What are you doing to achieve (or how do you plan to achieve) these goals?
6. What do you feel about your academic performance till now?
Are you satisfied about your academic performance...
Do you think that your academic performance is the best you are capable of? If not why? What you can do to improve upon it?
How do you think your professors & Teachers would describe you if we talk to them about you?
career option ? (or branch of study etc ....... ) ...... .
8. Beside academic performance, what else, you think, is needed for success in a job?
What do you think it takes to be successful in a career like.... (Chosen)?
Do you have any actual work experience - if no- than how do you think you can be selected or taken in?
11. Speak some thing on a topic of your choice that would be informative / interesting to us.
12. Speak a few lines on" " (Topic given be selection committee member).
13. Narrate one significant achievement in your life till now? Elaborate & Discuss.
Narrate a challenging situation you faced? What did you do?
14. How do you spend your leisure time / spare time. OR Why do you need to have hobbies?
Do you have any hobbies? Tell us about your hobbies?
Did you participate in any extra curricular activities? What for? Do you gain any thing out of it?
15. What are your strengths & weaknesses? Or are you aware of your strengths & weaknesses~ OR
What are you doing / have done to overcome your weaknesses.
What is your greatest strength? What is your greatest weakness?
What you intend doing with your strengths? What you intend doing with your weaknesses?
16. Who is your idol (role model)? (Be prepared for further questions OR
Describe the course / person / event that had the greatest impact on your thinking / career goals so far.
Who or what has inspired you the most in life? Why?
17 Why do you think you should be selected OR
Why should we hire you? Tel us some good reasons?
If you are not selected in campus interviews what would you do?
18. Do you have any idea, what we are looking for?
What will be your functions & responsibilities after you join us. Do you have any idea?
& Then How do you justify & fit yourself in light of these requirements?
Is money important to you? Or Power or Fun? Which one & Why? OR
How much money at your age you think you need to be happy?
20. What do you think should be an acceptable compensation for fresh engineers like you?
21. Any location preferences? Can you relocate to Bombay ....... etc.
Activity - Turnover - Chief Executive (you will be asked to speak) ........... If they make an offer
Whether you will join them. Or us? Why?
23. Some technical questions on your specialization / value addition course attended?
24. Name some eminent personalities from your field of study & speak a few words about them.
25. What according to you is success? How do you evaluate success OR
Describe a situation where you think you were successful? & What it takes to be successful in this career you are choosing?
Any ideas as to how you achieve "excellence”
29. If you live your life all over again, what would you change?
30. Would you like to work with information or with people? Why?
31. Do you think you are a team player? How do you justify?
Why do you think are team players required in an organization?
32. What motivates you / or what do you think drives you? Or what is your passion in life?
What values are dear to you in life? or do you have any guiding principles in life?
33. Justify why should I choose you? Or Why should we offer you this job.
34. Conflicts - are they essential? How do you resolve them?
Have you ever had a conflict with the boss or professor? How did you resolve it?
35 Can you handle pressure & stresses? Why do these arise? How do you think you should handle?
DO you think any training is needed? How much?
40. Why do you want to work in ......... industry? (IT I TCS I etc)
Why would you prefer this job?
SPECIFIC TO IT INDUSTRIES
What is the significance of SE! - CMMI Levels
42. What is PCMM Level-5? What does 'P' signify?
43. What is the significance of ISO 9000 - 2000 certification?
What is Global IT Market?
What % is the Indian IT Market of Global demand? How do you view its future?
45. What is IT? Or Can you define IT?
46. What inputs are needed for IT Sector entrants.
At the entry level - what do you expect the fresh engineers should possess?
SPECIFIC TO MANUFACTURING INDUSTRIES
49. What is TQM ? How is it different from ISO 9000 certified ?
52. What is preventive Maintenance? What is total preventive maintenance (TPM).
SPECIFIC TO INSTRUMENTATION
SPECIFIC TO TELECOM & EC
59. There may be specific demands like Embedded systems, VLSI design etc.
QUESTIONS ABOUT EDUCATION AND TRAINING
What changes would you make in your school/college/university? What did you learn from life at school/college/university?
What subjects did you like best at school/college/university? Why? In what way(s) did school/college/university prepare you for work? What did you like most/least about school/ college/university?
Why did (not) you go to another ( ........... ) college/university?
Do you thing your grades are a true reflection of your ability?
If you had the chance, what changes would you make to this country's education system?
QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL QUALITIES
What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
How do/did you get on with your schoolmates/college mates/workmates? What really brings out the best in you?
How would you describe yourself?
What has given you most satisfaction in life so far ? What is your definition of success?
How do you perform under pressure?
Tell me about the biggest problem you've had to face in life. How did you overcome it? We all make mistakes in life. What have you learned from yours?
QUESTIONS ABOUT SUITABILITY FOR JOB
What is your ideal working environment?
What is it about this job that appeals to you? Why do you think you would be good at this job? Why did you apply to this company?
What do you think the ideal relationship is between a boss and his staff? Tell me what you know about this company.
What have you learned from your present job (past part-time) jobs? What things are most important to you in choosing a job?
How do you think you could make a contribution to the company? How would you change the company you are working for now? Explain to me why I should give you this job.
QUESTIONS ABOUT CAREER EXPERIENCE AND ASPIRATIONS
What is your ideal job at this stage in your life? What do you expect to be doing in 5/1 0 year's time?
Why did you choose a career in .............. ?
If you do not get this job, what do you plan to do?
Why do you want to leave your present job?
What do you like best/least about your present job?
What have you gained from your present job that would help you in this one ?
Do you mind working long hours (overtime)?
Can you drive ?
Are you willing to be relocated?
What starting salary would you expect? When would you be able to start work?
QUESTIONS ABOUT INTERESTS AND LEISURE ACTIVITIES
How do you spend your time when you are not studying/working ? What is your main leisure interest ?
Are you particularly good at any of your hobbies/activities ? Have you ever organized activities for other people ?
Do you read a lot ?
Who is your favourite author ? Why?
What benefits do you think get from your activities ?
OUESTIONS ABOUT FAMILY BACKGROUND
What does your father do for a living ?
What do (does) your parents (wife) think about your applying for this job ? What do your brothers and sisters do ?
Does being married mean that you can only work in the town?